APPLICATION DEADLINE: CLOSED
1. The Scheme
The scheme is called the University of Malaya Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship (PDRF).
Candidates for the fellowship must meet the following requirements:
(1) Have obtained a PhD degree not more than last 5 years or have attend and passed the viva-voce ( please provide a letter from the institution concerned to attest to this);
(2) Have proof of proficiency in the English language (a minimum score of 600 in the
TOEFL or Band 6.5 in the IELTS) for candidates whose PhD thesis was written in
languages other than English;
(3) Have experience in carrying out research and have published in reviewed journals at
either the national or international level.
3. Prioritized Fields of Research
Areas which have been identified by the University of Malaya as prioritized research
clusters are as follows:
(i) Frontier Sciences
(ii) Innovative Technology
4. Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Post-Doctoral Research Fellow are as follows:
(1) To carry out, on a full-time basis , research which will be based at the Research Centre (RC) or Group and under the supervision of the Head of the RC or Research Program or Principle Investigator (PI);
(2) To produce at least 2 publications a year in a refereed and/or cited journal;
(3) To submit to the Head of the RC or Research Program or Principle Investigator (PI) a progress report on the research every 6 months;
(4) To provide not more than 4 hours of lecture/tutorial a week, when required; and
(5) To submit to the Associate Vice Chancellor (Research & Innovation), the research output /report in writing at the end of the appointment period as endorsed by the Head of the RC or Research Program or Principle Investigator (PI).
5. Source of Research Grant
The candidate is a joint researcher along with other academic staff approved by the
6. Duration of Appointment
(1) The first appointment should not exceed 1 year
(2) An extension may be considered subject to the progress report and
recommendation of the Head of the RC or Research Program or Principle Investigator (PI).
(3) The maximum duration of appointment is 3 years.
7. Appointment Status
Appointments are given contract status. (For candidates who are not Malaysian citizens,
the conditions of appointment are subject to the rules, regulations and conditions
applicable to foreign workers, as well as current policies enforced).
8. Living Allowance
A Living Allowance will be paid in a lump sum for an amount of RM66,000.00 a year.
Other facilities provided are as follows:
(1) Medical facilities for the candidate
(2) Return Apex/Budget flight fares once during the duration of appointment for
candidates who are not Malaysian citizens or who are Malaysians residing overseas
or residing in Sabah and Sarawak.
(3) Annual leaves totalling 20 days.
(4) Work facilities such as a laboratory or office space furnished with equipment
including telephone and computer.
10. Notice of Termination of Appointment
A 30-day notice is required or 1 month living allowance will be forfeited in place of the
the notice from both parties.
|Checklist Form For PDRF Application (Updated July 2017)||Download|
|Post Doctoral Research Fellow Application Form (Updated July 2017)||Download|
|PDRF Midterm Report Form||Download|
Institute of Research Management & Services
Level 7, Research Management & Innovation Complex
University of Malaya
50603 Kuala Lumpur
: +603-7967 4643
: +603-7967 4699
For further inquiries please email to