Frequently Ask Question For Research Management Matters
- WHAT IS RESEARCH MANAGEMENT?
Research management is an activity in facilitating and supporting the needs of research projects including management of research financial (grant), human capital development, resources, logistic, space/lab, data security, and ownership, etc.
- WHICH PARTIES INVOLVE IN SUPPORTING RESEARCH?
The principal investigator and her/his team of researchers are fully responsible for carrying out the research work. The entities involved in handling various matters supporting research processes are Department, Faculty, Research Management Centre (RMC), Bursar’s Office, Human Resource Division (HRD), Department of Development & Estate Maintenance (JPPHB), Information Technology Centre (PTM), Legal Department, Security Office, etc. It is imperative that researchers understand and abide by the guidelines and procedures of research processes.
- WHAT FACTOR AFFECTS THE SUCCESSFUL OF RESEARCH?
Time – Project duration
Cost – Project financial/budgetary
Quality – Significant output and outcome of the project
Understanding of research processes by researchers and abiding by guidelines
About the Institute of Research Management & Services (IPPP).
Research management activities at UM began in 1995 with the establishment of the Sponsored Research Unit (SRU) for research grants management. The SRU was then evolved into the Universiti Malaya Institute of Research Management and Services (IPPP) in 2003. Over the years, IPPP undergoes restructuring to meet the growing demands and development of research.
- What are the services provided by the Institute of Research Management & Services (IPPP)?
The primary function of IPPP is as a central coordination body for all research activities as well as a “one-stop” centre for all research information for the University. IPPP promotes, monitors, and assesses research among researchers. There are a few units within IPPP each with its mandate and functions, such as the research grants management unit, research services, management of research policy and strategy, and research data management.
- What is the role of the Office of Associate Vice-Chancellor (Research & Innovation)?
- Management of research financial and account in UM
- Management of research strategy and planning
- Research support systems
- Research data management
- Research property management such as Research Management & Innovation Complex and facility labs under the management of IPPP
- Management of research personnel such as Post-Doctoral, Research Fellow, Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) and Research Assistant (RA)
- Management of page charge fund
- What are the services offered by the Centre of Research Grant Management (PPGP)?
In general, PPGP managing the research grant (internal and external) by facilitating the process of pre and post-award of research grant as follows:
- Manage the research grant application
- Create research grant accounts and update grant budget in RGMS
- Administer the application for research grant expenses such as payment, procurement, travel, virement, transfer of research funds, etc.
- Administration of research grants such as change Principal Investigator (PI) and the nomination of Co-PI
- Research project monitoring
- What are the services offered by the (PPP)?
The Centre for Research Services (PPP) is dedicated to assisting the University in providing support for research activities which includes:
- Provide support for activities related to research
- Management of Digital Object Identifier (DOI) services in UM
- Administration and management of centralize research lab equipment and facilities
- Administration and coordination of the Lab Quality Management System in UM (ISO 17025:2017)
- Secretariat for DVC (R&I)'s Occupational Safety and Health Committee
- Secretariat for UM Research Website
- What is the role of the Research Clusters?
- To strength the UM niche areas and research cores
- Assist in the planning of UM research strategy and policy
- Foster impact-oriented interdisciplinary research activities
- Promote UM research collaboration with academic institutions, public agencies, private and industries at the national and international level
- Empower UM researchers in achieving research excellence
RESEARCH GRANT MANAGEMENT
- How to submit a research grant application?
Generally, grant applications can be made via PPGP or directly to the funding body via a designated online submission platform. Kindly refer to the submission guideline announced by the Funding body or contact PPGP at email@example.com for assistance.
- How to apply for Letter of Support/ Letter of Commitment/ Referral Letter/ Statement of Intent/template of agreement, etc.?
Please send your request via email directly to the in-charge person listed in question 15 of this FAQ and cc to PPGP official email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detail information as follows:
- Name, website, and guideline (if any) of the call
- List of requested documents
- Other related supporting documents such as CV, short biography, etc.
All applications will be processed within five (5) working days.
- How to apply for an invoice from the University?
Submit your request via email to PPGP (email@example.com) together with a detailed project budget, schedule of payment, and method of transaction.
- How can I track the status of fund disbursement?
Submit the proof of transaction from the funding body to PPGP via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to register research project in RGMS?
Submit the completed “Application for Opening Research Grant Form” which can be downloaded from https://umresearch.um.edu.my/research-guidelines-amp-policies to PPGP via email together with all required supporting documents list on the form. All applications will be processed within seven (7) working days.
- Can the researcher submit a procurement during MCO, CMCO, and RMCO?
Yes. However, all procurement processes must follow the standard financial procedure implemented by the UM Bursary and safety procedure by UM OSHE.
- How to get permission for research grant expenses?
All research grant expenses such as purchasing of equipment and research consumables, payment of honorarium and services provide by the third party, travel expenses etc. can be submitted through UM portal by the project Principal Investigator (PI).
- Can I submit a project extension application due to the MCO and RMCO?
Yes, and is subjected to the approval of respective funding bodies. The Principal Investigator must make the project extension application of the project. All applications must be submitted to funding bodies via PPGP. Please send your project extension request to PPGP via email at email@example.com.
- Can the researcher apply for fieldwork, research activity, and conference leave during MCO, CMCO, and RMCO?
All travel permissions are subjected to the general restrictions by the National Security Council (MKN) and approval from the Universiti Malaya until further notice.
- Can the researcher submit a late application (conference/fieldwork/ research activity) to PPGP due to late confirmation by the organizer/collaborator?
For conferences (within one (1) month before the conference start date), researchers must appeal to PPGP and Human Resource Division (BSM) before the online system can be activated for conference leave application.
For fieldwork/ research activity, researchers must provide strong justification (of late application) to PPGP during the submission of the application.
- How to request for a project allocation virement?
A request for project allocation virement can be submitted through the Staff portal à RGMS à Virement. Please be informed that all virements must comply with respective research grant guidelines.
- Can the PI appeal for project allocation virement if the virement request has exceeded the conditions stipulated in the guideline?
Yes, PI can appeal by writing to PPGP by providing strong justification and related supporting documents. All applications are subjected to the approval of respective funding bodies.
- How to submit a Progress Report and Final Report?
UMRG Project & UMRG Program
UMRG Project progress report must be submitted through the Staff portal à E-Monitoring
IIRG, GPF, RF, RU Grant
A softcopy of the report must be emailed to PPGP (firstname.lastname@example.org).
LRGS, TRGS, PRGS, FRGS, MO, SF, ICF
GA, PV, IF
- After submitted the softcopy via emai, PI need to submit a hardcopy of the report to PPGP too?
Yes. A hardcopy of the report must be submitted to PPGP. It can be sent using the campus mail service.
- Who should I contact with regards to research grants matters?
Mdm. Noor Hidayati Ismail (email@example.com)
Pre-award FRGS / PRGS / TRGS / Government Agency
Mdm. Nur Suhada Kelwon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Pre-award LRGS / MyLAB / UM Internal Grant (Partnership/ IIRG / GPF / BKS)
Mdm. Saidatul Azura Radzi (email@example.com)
Pre-award International Grant (IF)/ Private Grant (PV)/International Collaboration Fund (ICF), RU Grant (SATU Joint Research) and Research grant data
Mr. Muhamad Firdaus Zainalabidin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Pre-award UMRG, Special Research Grant (Book)
Post-award Impact Oriented Interdisciplinary Research Grant Programme (IIRG)
Mdm. Nur Bahiyah Sujana (email@example.com)
Post Award International Grant (IF), Private Grant (PV), International Collaboration Fund (ICF), Smartfund, Sciencefund, AAIBE Grant, Government Agency, Others MOHE and Partnership Grant
Mdm. Aliaa Diyana Azizuddin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post Award Geran FRGS, PRGS, TRGS, LRGS, RU, BKP, BKS, PPP, ROGS, SATU Joint
RESEARCH ASSISTANTS (RA) AND GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANTS (GRA)
- Can a research assistant (RA) go to the research laboratory on campus to conduct laboratory work during CMCO?
Permission is required from the Head of PTj (Dean/Director) for RAs to work in the laboratories during the CMCO. If there is a need to handle and monitor critical equipment and experiment such as maintenance of tissue culture collections or animal care, the Principal Investigator (PI) must write to the Head of PTj through the HoD for approval. The letter must specify the "critical activities" that require the presence of the RA in the laboratory. All attendance must be recorded clearly in the logbook.
- Can a graduate research assistant (GRA) go to the research laboratory on campus to conduct laboratory work during CMCO?
Permission is required from the Head of PTj (Dean/Director) for GRAs to work in the laboratories during the CMCO. If there is a need to handle and monitor critical equipment and experiment such as maintenance of tissue culture collections or animal care, the Principal Investigator (PI) must write to the Head of PTj through the HoD for approval. The letter must specify the "critical activities" that require the presence of the GRA in the laboratory. All attendance must be recorded clearly in the logbook.
- As a GRA receiving a monthly stipend from a research grant, will it affect my stipend if I defer my semester?
GRA is an offer to an active student. Withdrawal from the semester will affect the stipend payment.
- As a GRA receiving the UM Student Financial Aid (Category A/B: Fee waiver), what will happen if I defer a semester?
Please refer to the Academic Administration & Services Centre (AASC) regarding UM Student Financial Aid (Category A/B: Fee waiver). You can email your question to email@example.com.
- Who should I contact with regards to research management matters?
Office of Associate Vice-Chancellor (Research & Innovation)
Dr. Tan Hsiao Wei (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Research Management Policy and Strategy
Mr. Amer Faezzudden Ahmad Fazal (email@example.com)
Appointment of Research Assistant (RA) and Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)
IPPP building management
Mdm. Fathiyah Abd Malik (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Administration of IPPP, Appointment of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (FPPD)
Mdm. Nor Suzila Mohamad (email@example.com)
Research Financial matters
Mr. Rohaizad Adenan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Research Information Management System
Centre for Research Services (PPP)
Mr. Chang Lee Wei (email@example.com)
CoR annual performance evaluation, UM research activities for publication, management of INFRA Microbiology Lab, administration of Centre for Research Services (PPP), management of research exhibition and expo
Mr. Mohd Salleh Sa’ari (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Management of UM journals using OJS System
Prof. Madya Dr. Ong Kien Chai (email@example.com)
Management of Pusat Haiwan Makmal
Mdm. Jauhar Aisyah Junaidi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Management of INFRA Lab Analisis and services
Mr. Amirul Fatih Japri (email@example.com)
Management of INFRA Lab Analisis and services
Office of Research Cluster
Management and administration of Research Cluster
Data Intensive Computing Centre
Dr. Liew Chee Sun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Head of Unit