Under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (NRE), all institutions/universities involved in research dealing with GMO must comply with the Biosafety Act 2007 and Biosafety (Approval and notification) Regulation 2010 and other related government regulations and policies to safeguard human health and the environment. For this purpose, Institutional Biosafety Committee UM is formed and registered with National Biosafety Board (NBB) in May 2011.
The responsibilities of the IBC include but are not limited to, the following :
- To provide guidance for safe use of modern biotechnology;
- To monitor activities dealing with modern biotechnology;
- Establishing and monitoring the implementation of policies and procedures for the purpose of handling living modified organisms; and
- Determining the classes of Biosafety Levels for contained use activity for the purpose of modern biotechnology research and development undertaken within a facility where the institutional biosafety committee is established.
In order to comply with the Biosafety Act 2007 and Biosafety (Approval and notification) Regulation 2010, any release activity , contained use activity and importation/exportation of GMOs must get approval/notification from National Biosafety Board (NBB) through Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).
- Biosafety Clearing House
- Cartagena Protocol
- Malaysia Biosafety Clearing House
- Ministry of Natural Resources & Environment
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
Tingkat 3, Pejabat Keselamatan & Kesihatan, Bangunan Canseleri
50603 Kuala Lumpur
Tel : +603-79677022 ext: 2414 /03 79676597
Fax : +603-79677078
Email : email@example.com